It is currently April 19th, 2014, 7:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 New to L5R, working on a Mantis deck 
Taisa
Taisa

Post New to L5R, working on a Mantis deck
Hey everyone. I'm quite new to L5R, and I'm trying my second clan. I have a Dragon Kensai deck; it's the second Dragon deck I've tried (monks didn't really stick...). It's ok, but not quite what I was hoping for. So, since my playgroup doesn't have any Mantis players, and they seem like fun, I'm gonna go for it.

I got the Celestial Edition and Dead of Winter Mantis decks, and a mess of boosters. My group is quite liberal with trading and gifting of cards outside of each player's clan, so I have access to a large number of rares, uncommons, and commons outside of what I've already got.

It looks like the Mantis cards I have now are geared towards naval (obviously), scouts, and ranged attacks. Any advice on how to turn this mess of cards into a deck? Feel free to offer any advice, including cards I ought to seek out.

Thanks everyone! I'm loving the game so far; just looking for my niche : )

January 26th, 2011, 10:46 am
Rikugunshokan
Rikugunshokan

Post Re: New to L5R, working on a Mantis deck
Well Mantis is far more enjoyable than Dragon (which is the second clan I love the most).

Mantis are always about naval, for sure! That's our main strategy. We love to play lot of guys with battle abilities as it is the way Mantis are (not too much force but good abilities).

Our main strategies are :

- Followers, usually played with Dragon's Guard City (DGC). You can play commanders, you can play magistrates or you can play a lot of naval guys and no particular trait. Good cards are taoist archer, legion of toshigoku, imperial artificer, iron gauntler brother, ronin brotherhood, overpowering assault, fire on my command, travel swiftly, deadly order, obfuscation, muscle and steel, conscript troops, a stain cleansed, defensive nature, unwavering assault. See also Sunagawa, Seisha, Kalani xp, Naizen, Utemaro, Shisuken, Gidayu, ...

- Magistrates out of Aramasu's Vigilance (AV). This is our new stronghold so we are still discovering its possibilities with you! It's often a bunch of naval magistrates and good action based on gold cost. Tatsuhiko, Manzo, Eihiko basic and xp, Utemaro, Nakata, Ai, Joben, Ogata, Onaka,Gidayu, A stain cleansed, enticement, overwhelming assault, unwavering assault, paid off, defensive nature, stolen property, southern blockdale, traveling peddler.

- Thunder Shugenja with Thunder Dragon Bay (TDH). This is often decks that are called "fun" because almost nobody see them as really tournament-winning. But they are enjoyable and nice to play. You'll go with shugenjas with the thunder trait and a lot of actions to trigger your stronghold and deal with the opponent who'd dare to oppose your chicks. Consumed by five fire, thunder's favor, suitengu's fury, controlling the seas, censure of thunder, thunder blessing, cost of pride, Sarassa, Yoriko, Kazue, Chuuna, Takako, Sayoko, ...

- Scouts with Seven Sea Port (SSP). This is one of our weakest stronghold and archetype. Scouts are funny but they lack the card draw DGC have, the awesome strategies the magistrate have and the spell the Shugenja enjoy. Still we could buy something funny that focus on good gold to force ratio pesonalities and good battle actions. Ohashi, Suzuki, Toboro, Shinjo's Scout, Military Assessment, Cost of pride, game of sincerity, overwhelming, insight, ruthless advance, concentrate fire, hunting the daughter...

You can find DGC, AV and TDB deck in the decklist section here! There is also a post about what could we do with SSP!

Hope it helps! My fellow mantis mate will correct me if I'm wrong, post new things to consider I might have forget or simply never though of it!

Image Image

January 26th, 2011, 4:23 pm
Rikugunshokan
Rikugunshokan

Aside from a gratuitous link to the deck list section I think you covered just about everything current Hikari.

ImageImage

January 26th, 2011, 4:31 pm
Sailor
Sailor

We just moved to this site, so the deck section isn't that big yet. The old site is still up as an archive, and you can see a much larger selection of decks Here

January 26th, 2011, 7:16 pm
Taisa
Taisa

I had my first couple games with my Mantis deck last night, and I loved it! It fit my play style much better than the Dragon deck I had been working on. I lost my first game (badly) to a Crane player who is one of the top players in our group. It was very frustrating, but I didn't let it slow me down. I played against a Lion player who's been playing only a bit longer than me, and I won that game pretty handily. Thanks everyone, for your advice! I'm pretty happy with my deck, even though there's definitely room for improvement still.

February 8th, 2011, 6:11 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]